Federal highways subsidized replacing 400+ ton-mpg railroads with 25 mpg roads.
The unintended consequence was a loss of half the railroads, a century with the highway efficiency of the Model-T, Climate Change, and oil-wars.
The unintended consequences of Federal highway programs are:
- Resource depletion, US Peak Oil was in 1970.
- Foreign oil addiction that eight Presidents warned was a direct threat to national security.
- Perpetual oil-wars since 1991.
- Oil-dollar funded terrorist attacks on America, 9/11.
- Nation debt increasing in tandem with oil imports between Peak Oil and the 2008 forclosure collapse of the banking system.
- Climate Change.